Taxpayers want to set up an independent school and are willing to pay ABOVE market rates for an excess UCDSB property.
The school board fears losing students to a superior system. The govt saves $13000 for every student that is homeschooled or independent schooled. Parents usually pay $5 to 7K per child (on top of school taxes) for an education from a small independent school with better academic results!!
The UCDSB supports “school choice” but only to four school boards. They actively oppose citizens who want more school choice!
Board refuses to sell to Christian school
Letters to the editor: School board chairman responds
The public school board has refused to sell a vacant school to the Heritage Christian Community School, citing an obscure 15-year-old policy that prohibits property sales to private schools because they would cause “irreparable harm” to the board.
The Christian school made an offer to buy the shuttered Wolford elementary school in August, offering more than the board’s $290,000 asking price, but the Upper Canada District School Board refused to consider it, according to Jennifer Feenstra, principal of the Christian school.
“This is not a process that applies to one private school of one faith; it applies equally to all private schools, faith based or not. That is the policy of the board and it is in the best interests of public education. We believe in public education and schools that are fully accessible to all. That’s why the policy and procedure in place does not support the sale of surplus school properties to private schools of any kind. The strength of publicly funded education in our community, all four public school systems, is not enhanced by our facilitating the growth of private schools.”
There is no FACILITATION! You are obstructing taxpayer citizens from paying market rate for a surplus school building!
Interesting that there are only 4 footnotes. Footnote 3 is explicity prolife – it is Section 4 of “CDF Doctrinal Note on some questions regarding the participation of Catholics in Political Life”. VERY important to read! Footnote 4 condemns abortion and euthanasia several times. It also comdemns so-called same sex “marriage”.
A “well formed conscience” does not permit one to vote for a program of abortion, funding for overseas abortion, euthanasia etc etc!!
Teachers unions have a long history of holding children hostage over their demands. They strike or work to rule regularly against NDP, liberal and PC govts.
They expect total submission. The hostage taking are always “for the kids” or to “defend the amazing school system”
Work to rule (where teachers decide the rules!) expectations:
- Not fill in for an absent teacher or take on additional students if a class is collapsed because an occasional teacher has not been retained
- Not take on additional duties during regularly scheduled preparation time (including teaching in another class)
- Not participate in teacher performance appraisal meetings, unless the member is on an improvement plan or long-term occasional assignment
- Not respond to email, electronic or phone communication from administrators unless it involves the safety of others, absences, day plans or occasional teacher assignments
- Not update classroom websites, blogs or newsletters
- Not submit any long-range or short-range plans, or literacy and numeracy block plans
- Not update Individual Education Plans (IEPs) after the 30th day of school deadline
- Not participate in any in-school meetings or professional learning activities on PA days, opting instead to use the time for their own professional development within the classroom
- Not prepare report card comments or complete or package progress reports, though they will provide administrators with a hard copy list of learning skills and work habits ratings
- Not conduct parent interview related to the progress report cards, unless there are concerns identified by the teacher about a child’s progress
- Not act as division chairs or team leads
History of strikes and work to rules:
School boards (particularly Catholic) are dominated by trustees who are related to teachers or have been installed by OECTA. This is why they are “rubber stampers” and care more about teachers than taxpayers or children during local contract negotiations.
- In Hamilton, the Catholic board can’t even vote on the budget as too many trustees are married to teachers at the board
2. OCSB Chair and her “boarder” who is chief negotiator:
3) Nobody wants to run against (unofficial) OECTA candidates in OCSB. So many acclaimed! 6 out of 10 for OCSB were by acclamation.
4) Halton Catholic School board is dominated by OECTA-sponsored trustees:
The OCSB board basically rubber stamps everything. Virtual none of the motions have anything substantial in them. Most motions are “receiving a report” or “approve minutes”, etc. Votes are not recorded but 99% are unanimous.
Archive of OCSB motions:
Board Motions Registry September 2018 -June 2019
DO NOT EXPECT BOARDS TO DEFEND INTERESTS OF CHILDREN OR TAXPAYERS. THEY ARE BEHOLDEN TO TEACHER RELATIVES AND TEACHERS’ UNIONS!
PS: here is OCSB trustee tweeting today with her OECTA solidarity shirt