Over the past 10 years, secularism has been spreading noticeably. Cultural influences, such as individualism, consumerism and moral relativism, continue to have a negative effect on the faith of our people. To a certain extent, our society tolerates people who profess religious beliefs, but many today are advocating that these beliefs are private and have no place in the public square.
Faced with these negative cultural forces, the dioceses of Ontario are strengthening our efforts to carry on the Church’s mission of evangelization, seeking to build vibrant, welcoming parish communities and to support Catholic institutions, such as our schools, universities and hospitals. We are taking steps to assist our people to grow in holiness and to be more confident in their baptismal call to witness to their faith and to reach out to their fellow Catholics who are not going to Church and to others in our society who are hungering spiritually.
Recognizing the grave threats in our society to fundamental human rights, we are entering ecumenical and interfaith partnerships to speak with one voice for the rights of people, especially the unborn, the vulnerable, the poor and the marginalized.
Thanks to the strong faith of those who have gone before us, the Church is well established in Ontario. There is a solid core of the faithful who remain firm in their Catholic faith and are committed to passing it on their children and grandchildren.
+Most Rev. Ronald Fabbro, C.S.B.
Bishop of London
President of the ACBO
The only bad things mentioned in 60 pages are
– overall society
– a single march by OECTA in Gay Pride
everything else is apparently cheery.. Salt and Light,yada yada, government funding for schools, yada yada. The report looks like it was mainly written by ACBO Gen Secretary Roger Lawler (pro abort). He was head of an unknown group called FACES and many sections mention FACE (Friends & Advocates of Catholic Education) which basically just ensures govt $$ for “catholic” schools
They don’t mention the plummeting weekly mass attendance (down to 15% overall, and much less for gen X and millenials – Source Reg Bibby).
– Almost six out of 10 Canadian Catholics who attend church once a week want the Vatican to “take a more liberal” approach to contraception, according to the online poll of 1,200 Catholics
– only half of weekly mass goers say homosexual acts are immoral
Grads from government “catholic school system”:
Public “Catholic” High Schools are WORSE than
Public schools in many areas:
– more likely to support Same Sex Marriage
– more likely to want even bigger government
– more likely to feel helpless in dealing with problems in life
– more likely to believe that Religion is a Private Matter that should be Kept
Out of Public Debates about Social and Political Issues
– less likely to feel an obligation to vote
– less likely to believe God or the Bible Help Me Decide what is Right
– less likely to have boycotted a company for its political or social views and less likely to have participated in a demonstration or protest
Areas where Public and Public Catholic are virtually identical:
– volunteer hours
– rate of cohabitation before marriage
•no difference with public schools of rate of divorce
•Catholic grads more likely to be gay/bi/trans
•same as public school in believing so-called gay marriage is ok
•do not volunteer any more than public school grads
•more likely to believe that science conflicts with religion
•-Less likely than public school grads to believe the bible is an infallible guide for behaviour
The Catholic Church in Ontario is in freefall and the ACBO is telling Rome all is fine!! Ontario is rapidly becoming like the church in Quebec.